Friday 12 July 2013

Reducing everything to patterns

Hey everyone, it's Alexia. As i'm sure you've surmised from the other interns, we were asked to wander around Brick Lane and share our thoughts. Since I've moved to London I've rarely spent any time in that area so I most curious to explore this 'super creative hub' everyone's mentioned.

To be honest, immediately upon arrival my poor minimalist sensibilities were a bit overhwelmed! There was just layers upon layers upon layers of colour nearly everywhere you looked and it seemed as if every bit of creativity was in competition with one another. And the more I looked, the more things started to seem the same.

So! I took a step back and embraced the sameness, focusing on discerning patterns- and not only was that way more interesting, I began to notice individual touches reocurring throughout the street. It became like a scavenger hunt.  These are some of my findings.

Tesselations
Large Eye Fixations

The Same Hand At Work
Portraits


This might not come as a surprise, but my favourite parts were the quietest ones, tucked away and hidden in plain sight.
"99% of people will not notice this" / "76% of Statistics are made up on the spot"

No comments:

Post a Comment