Wednesday 3 July 2013

Lulu's first moment @ CIDA

A big wave to everyone, this is Lulu the new intern here.

On July 3rd, I started my first day of internship at CIDA organisation, which aims to assist thousands of creative individuals, business and arts organisations at varying stages of development through a range of innovative projects, professional services and social events. Firstly, I will start with a brief background introduction of myself. I am currently doing a master’s degree in Culture and Creative industry at King’s College, London. I have spent a couple of years in the UK since 2009. I was doing BA sociology at university of Warwick during my undergraduate year. The chief reason I planned to start my new life at King’s is due to London’s glamour and superb cultural & creative environments. I do hope a year at King’s could help to enhance both my academic and practical skills.

Overall, in the context of the practical skills, gaining a chance to stay in CIDA is absolutely superb. Crucially, it will help me to keep updating the specific trends and changes among both creative organisations and as Florida suggested the ‘creative class’. After briefly reviewing hundred pages in CIDA’s publicity material, in my general view, such a small team CIDA leaded by its CEO Toks is unbelievable. Since the year 2002, according to my rough calculation, they have helped thousands of grassroots businesses in their quests for self sufficiency and progression through business consulting, workshops and seminars. Apart from it, each year more than 15 different types of one day or two days big events related to professional development trainings, showing cast opportunities and networking conferences would be held in London.

There are two events called CR8NET and Digital Women’s Club both impressed me a lot. Particularly, in terms of CR8NET which I participated in person this year, generally its aims is to bring together leaders, professions and scholars in the creative sector to discuss the pressure points to the industry. Throughout the whole event, I discovered that social networking is the first but crucial step to start your careers in creative sectors. In terms of the role that CIDA acted, it maximise opportunities for creative individuals to share their experiences. As Toks argued that ‘only creative minds could support creative minds’. Moreover, Creative Entrepreneurs is also a great event which reflects his claim. This ‘idea journey’ offered each participant to have opportunity in order to develop their business concept from idea to draft business plan.

In addition, CIDA tries to encourage all creative individuals no matter their gender, race, ethnicity or economic circumstance. As a post feminist, the Digital Women’s club is particularly successful which provides a clear route for those creative but unemployed women. During the event which encompasses a panel discussion, training, advice and networking, this group of unemployed and underemployed women will get the opportunities in finding their proper role in creative digital sector. To some extend, some women once faced with ‘glass ceiling’ would shared their strategies such as how they coped with them. 

Lastly, I never fixed my life targets. Everything will flow. In a short term, I am ready to make a little tiny positive change to CIDA and creative industries in a broad sense. 

Best wishes to you all.


No comments:

Post a Comment