Thursday 21 February 2013

First Event in CIDA (Ridley2)

New Year, New Opportunities in Fashion: Networking Evening at the City Business Library

(click on the links to get more info!)

This was the first event I had in CIDA. As mentioned in the title, it was held in City Business Library, which is the leading public library for business information offering free access to the UK's most comprehensive collection of business databases and publications, including general start up advice, information on funding sources, market research, company data and business news. Since the event was about business networking, the library is the most suitable venue, as it also provides a broad-base of business information.

Business Support organisations, like Fashion Capital, Portobello Business Centre and Department for Business Innovation & Skills set up their counters inside the library and CIDA was one of them! Basically, the event provided a chance for like-minded people to meet. Companies can promote themselves, and meet with other companies; fashion practitioners can seek for professional advice and mingle around with other people from the same industry. What a win-win situation!

The event started off with networking, which means people can walk around freely and talk to people in different stands. The CIDA interns' mission is to introduce the company and our new membership scheme. We got a lot of people joining our free membership yesterday! After 15 minutes or so, the guest speakers take turns to talk about their experience. There were fashion designer, clothes company manager and representatives from business support organisations. David Jones of David Jones Fashion Management was once of the speakers and he gave a lot of insightful advice. For example, he said when communication becomes digital nowadays, he insists his company to sent their promotional material by letters, because people very often regard e-brochures/ leaflets as spam, however, people always open letters, which are addressed to them! The event ended with another networking session, and by the end, most people are holding a CIDA file (our promotional pack)!

I was very worried at first because I have to communicate with foreigners in English and persuade them to give their contact information to me. I was not confident enough and I was not 100% familiar with the company and the membership. As the counter get crowded, I had no choice but to talk to people who are interested in CIDA. To my surprise, people are very receptive and patient, and all of them were willing to give me their emails! This event granted me the opportunities to practise business English, and to learn to make my point clear so that others can get the most out of what I said. This can be a challenge as English is not my mother-tongue, but now, I am more confident in using the language. Besides, I start to see the value of networking events, as it was not every popular in Hong Kong. The cultural and creative industries indeed brings a lot of job opportunities to people, nevertheless, it is no less competitive then other professions. Networking definitely open the door for young, upcoming practitioners in the industries. Another thing is that, I am impressed by the City Business Library, as one can see from the facility, the UK government encourages creativity and independent business, which bring diversity and healthy competition to the market. I hope I can see it in Hong Kong soon.

Another bigger networking event, Cr8net, is coming up soon! I will talk more about the event preparation next time!
 (People networking with one another)
 (Our banner :) )

1 comment:

  1. such a great post! Your english is really good. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us! rebecca

    ReplyDelete