Wednesday 30 January 2013

Discovery Trip: Seeing East London in Your Own Eyes

It is the second week of my internship at CIDA and the first time for me to have a chance to spend a whole day walking around the area, where CIDA is, and engaged myself into the special cultural atmosphere of East London. At the very beginning, I can only understand why we were arranged to have a tour around this area, but will never imagine how deeply I was shocked by this trip and what I saw and felt.  As a matter of fact, what we did was more like a research or an exploration, rather than a simple tour in East London. I have to say that it was undoubtedly a good idea to have such a meaningful trip. 

 

 
It was very nice that Rebecca showed us the map of the area around CIDA and pointed out a few sites and galleries she recommended in the morning. Then we began to do research ourselves and prepare for the trip. About 11am, we set out from the office.
Our first stop is the Church Bell Foundry, because when I passed by it last Thursday, I was attracted by the old building and its name and curious about what is on in it. We found some old bells there and even some models telling people how to produce a bell. I am sure people can get enamours knowledge about bells there.

 

 
I had to admit that what Wikipedia tells you are quite different from what you see and feel yourself. Before this walk, I only knew that Brick Lane was famous for its vintage stores and had no idea about what it is exactly like and why it develops like this. So for me the trip was not only full of surprise, but also helped me have a deeper understanding about the cultural diversity in East London.

 
 

 
 What impressed me most was the wall painting on Brick Lane and many small streets I cannot name. These painting are not only simply pained on the wall, but also integrated with the building and the street. They have become parts of them and tell the stories about them. I cannot help thinking about a story for each one when I stood in front of them, even though I know none of what I was thinking can be true.





 
Such kind of painting can be found almost everywhere around this cultural centre of East London. We walked along Brick Lane and finally arrived at Spitafields Market, which is now more like a square with popular fashion, food, vintage stores, modern restaurants and general market. However, you won’t feel any disharmony. Each market has its own feature. Petticoat Lane Market is glutted with all kinds of cheap clothes and beautiful cloth from India or Pakistan. The stores on Commercial Street have their own brand.








 

 
 Our final stop, which is also the most ‘cultural’ part of this trip, is the Whitechapel Gallery. This is one of the most famous contemporary art galleries in East London. Unlike the National Galley and National Portrait Gallery, there are not many visitors here. However, all the exhibitions are of special characteristics and implications. Aspen, which was one of the first multi -media magazines and became a time capsule of the period, is now shown in Whitechapel Gallery. All ten complete sets of the rarely seen publication, which are Issued in boxes are displayed in a room. Visitor can also listen to the audio recordings.


 


Collection Sandretto Re Rebaudengo: Viral Research


Aspen Magazine: 1965-1971

 
Having walked around this area for a whole day, I can to some extent understand why   so many new emerging artists and cultural organisations like CIDA prefer to work in East London. This area has the most diversified and impressive culture, which is completely different from the so-called mainstream culture and fill with innovation and passion. This is exactly what I want to see, to learn and to feel.  I believe that my internship at CIDA can help me have a better understanding of cultural and creative industries. I am sure that one day is not enough to fully understand all these. I will definitely want to spend more time exploring this area.





 



 

 




 


 

 




 

 

1 comment:

  1. A really lovely post, thanks for sharing your thoughts, Lihua! (from rebecca)

    ReplyDelete